The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Seminal Image #360


Сталкер
(Stalker)
(Andrei Tarkovsky; 1979)

7 comments :

Bonny Stormer said...

Just based on that image, I would really like to see this movie. It reminds me of a dream I had a while back...

swac said...

I went into a dream state both times I saw this film.

I could totally watch this again.

Jeff Duncanson said...

I love this film. The soundtrack by Edward Artemiev will most definitely lodge itself inside your skull.

Bonny Stormer said...

We should most definately watch this when I get back, then. Provided we can get our hands on it (I don't know if you own it).

Jeff Duncanson said...

I do. It's readily available on DVD

swac said...

I don't have it (Tarkovsky isn't a big repeat viewer for me) but I'm pretty sure that Video Difference does, and if not them, that quirky store on Mumford Road with the weird hodgepodge of foreign films very well might.

Maybe some vodka-based drink will help the film sink in deeper...

Richard Gibson said...

All of the films I have seen by Tarkovsky have amazing imagery in them. Try explaining to someone the actual making of a church bell, a superb, capitivating scene in 'Andrei Rublev'.