The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Great Philosophers of the 20th Century #15: Johnny Cash


Johnny Cash

There You Go by J. Cash

You're gonna break another heart, you're gonna tell another lie
Well here I am and there you go, you're gone again
I know you're gonna be the way you've always been
Breakin' hearts and tellin' lies is all you know
Another guy gives you the eye and there you go
There you go, you're gone again
I should have known, I couldn't win
There you go, you're by his side
You're gonna break another heart, you're gonna tell another lie

Because I love you so I take much more than I should take
I want you even though I know my heart is gonna break
You build me up and for a while I'm all a-glow
Then your fickle heart sees someone else and there you go
There you go, you're gone again
I should have known, I couldn't win
There you go, you're by his side
You're gonna break another heart, you're gonna tell another lie

10 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thats Great! You guys are awesome.

tslittlefield said...

At My Door The Leaves Are Falling
A Cold Wild Wind Will Come
Sweetheats Walk By Together
And I Still Miss Someone

I Go Out On A Party
And Look For A Little Fun
But I Find A Darkened Corner
'Cause I Still Miss Someone

No I Never Got Over Those Blue Eyes
I See Them Everywhere
I Miss Those Arms That Held Me
When All The Love Was There

I Wonder If She's Sorry
For Leaving What We'd Begun
There's Someone For Me Somewhere
And I Still Miss Someone

-Johnny Cash

Tom Sutpen said...

And let's not forget . . .

There's a story in our town
Of the prettiest girl around
Golden hair and eyes of blue
How those eyes could flash at you (How those eyes could flash at you)
Boys hung 'round her by the score
But she loved the boy next door who worked at the candy store
(Dream on, dream on teenage queen prettiest girl we've ever seen)

She was tops in all they said
It never once went to her head
She had everything it seems
Not a care, this teenage queen (Not a care, this teenage queen)
Other boys could offer more
But she loved the boy next door who worked at the candy store
(Dream on, dream on teenage queen you should be a movie queen)

He would marry her next spring
Saved his money, bought a ring
Then one day a movie scout
Came to town to take her out (Came to town to take her out)
Hollywood could offer more
So she left the boy next door working at the candy store
(Dream on, dream on teenage queen see you on the movie screen)

Very soon she was a star
Pretty house and shiny car
Swimming pool and a fence around
But she missed her old home town (But she missed her old home town)
All the world was at her door
All except the boy next door who worked at the candy store
(Dream on, dream on teenage queen saddest girl we've ever seen)

Then one day the teenage star
Sold her house and all her cars
Gave up all her wealth and fame
Left it all and caught a train (Left it all and caught a train)
Do I have to tell you more
She came back to the boy next door who worked at the candy store

(Now this story has some more, you'll hear it all at the candy store)

tslittlefield said...

"Ballad Of A Teenage Queen"
-Jack Clement

swac said...

May I just add that I've been listening to a LOT of Johnny Cash lately? And not because of that movie (which I haven't seen).

But yeah, I Still Miss Someone is right up there on the playlist (and my old band used to play Ballad of a Teenage Queen, well, in practice anyway).

tslittlefield said...

I haven't seen the movie either. I will eventually. I heard or read some critic saying something to the effect that when you close your eyes you can't tell if it's Johnny Cash or Joaquin(sp?) singing. What utter bullshit.By the way I love your site.

Tom Sutpen said...

That was obviously written by a 'quote-whore', because I could tell from the Coming Attraction trailer that that was Joaquin Phoenix . . . who I think is a far better actor than his late sibling (but that's of no moment here) . . . trying to sound like The Man in Black. Unfortunately he sounds like Cash with a bad headcold (I only hope he and Reese Witherspoon don't make an attempt on Jackson).

As I say, Phoenix can be a fine actor, but I can't imagine anyone doing justice to the role of Johnny Cash, can you?

Tom Sutpen said...

Oh . . . thanks for loving the site!

tslittlefield said...

I admire Phoenix for being brave or crazy enough to portray the man in black.And for doing his own singing too but....well you know. I bet Jackson is in the movie.Reese Witherspoon actually sings at least as well as June did but June made up for her vocal shortcomings with plenty of charm and charisma.As for loving your site...what's not to love? Just in music alone you've got everyone from Prez to well Johnny Cash plus
all the great images from fine art to pop art to movies..I could go on and on. It's edutainment!(sorry)

swac said...

Edutainment? Ouch!

I know what you mean, but that's a word I use to describe those pretty, but shallow, IMAX documentaries.

Oh well, we'll take it as a compliment, just this once!