When Men Were Men #7


From The New Movie Album: An Autographed Who's Who of the Screen (1931)
"By birth I should have been a farmer, by early training a steel worker and by later inclination a lifeguard, for I was born in Kansas City, Missouri; educated in Pittsburgh, and now find that I would rather sit on a beach in the sun than anything else, except travel. And a great deal of money can be saved by just sitting in the sun.
I am an actor by design. It all came about very deliverately. For I have yet to win a beauty contest and my chance to be a film extra suddenly discovered by an alert casting director is past.
To become an actor, I went to New York, after a certain number of years spent in Pittsburgh, and entered the American Academy of Dramatic Art. My diploma from that impressively named school put me to work in 'The Ne'er Do Well,' at the Lyric Theatre. That was my first professional engagement.
Since that time there have been many of them, for I have played in stock in many cities. My first picture was 'Sherlock Holmes' with John Barrymore. That was in 1923. Since then, there have been many of them. My next will be 'New Morals,' made by Paramount, to home I long have been under contract."
-William Powell


(Note, although Paramount scheduled a film titled New Morals for release in the late '20s, it never surfaced as a finished production, although the plot put forward in promotional materials sounded very similar to that of another Paramount title, Breakfast at Sunrise, where a man and woman marry in order to spite the people that they are both truly in love with. By a weird coincidence, there is a film called New Morals for Old (1932) which stars the future Mrs. Nick Charles, Myrna Loy.)

No comments: