The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Before and After #12:
Fanny Brice

Before

After

6 comments :

Vanwall said...

Love that B4 shot!

BCNU

Brent McKee said...

I wonder if Ziegfeld ever had her pose for nude photos, the way he did with a number of showgirls.

Ivan G. said...

If you'll excuse my idle curiosity, where did you dig up the Snooks pic? It's a doozy...

swac said...

Funny Girl...Funny...GAH!

Tom Sutpen said...

Ivan asked:

If you'll excuse my idle curiosity, where did you dig up the Snooks pic? It's a doozy...

*****
I wish I could tell you with certainty, but I honestly can't remember, Ivan. I think I got it from a site with other images of OTR/Broadcasting figures, but that's a guess. I've had it a long time.

Thanks again for the MJH info, old sport!

swac said...

On the old MGM Dawn of Sound laserdisc boxes, there are some great early variety shorts with a female performer (whose name escapes me) who seems to be doing a note-perfect rip-off of Fanny Brice's act, and doing it rather well I might add. "I'd Like to Be a Monkey in a Zoo" is one of the songs that comes to mind, although they also show her singing a straight dramatic number too. But it's the kiddie act that remains memorable.