Stacks O'Wax #12



The Goons (Decca e.p., 1957)

I just had to post both sides of this fun e.p. cover, possibly my favourite eBay purchase ever (and as a bonus, it actually came with a record). The art is by Rex Morston, but obviously inspired by Spike Milligan's famous doodles, and nicely decontstructs the nature of album covers by playing with the placement of the catalogue number, printing the song titles upside down, and providing useless information about how not to damage the record (a frequent addition to album covers in the '50s and early '60s) on the back.

The record's fun too. No Yuletide would be complete without I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas.

3 comments:

Ivan G. said...

I'm partial to Bloodnok's Rock 'n' Roll Call myself--but that's why some folks likes chocolate and some likes vanilla.

Well, that's not entirely true--I just like Bloodnok.

orangeguru said...

Love the goons. They are a great introduction to the british mindset after 1945.

bloodnok said...

that's a lovely old record cover. see http://spriggs.net/ for some flash borrowed from it. too bad your image has disappeared ...

(i'm partial to bloodnok, too)