The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

From 'The Black Panther Coloring Book' #1


"The pig is afraid of the Black man. He strikes out against little children"

8 comments :

Vanwall said...

Throwing a bit of gasoline, are we? Hmmm.

BCNU,
Rob

Tom Sutpen said...

Rob wrote:

Throwing a bit of gasoline, are we? Hmmm.

*****
I promise I'm not playing dumb, but . . . and I'l toss this question out to anyone who wants to chime in . . . is this really all that offensive? When I found it last week I thought it such a bizarre cultural artifact that all I could think was how perfect it is for this blog. Any other consideration simply didn't occur to me.

Ivan G. said...

All I know is...Deputy Dan has no friends.

Vanwall said...

Actually, I thought it was hilarious, and I'm personally glad you posted it - very un-PC from so many directions. That said, there is an analogy to WWII era propaganda, and I'm surprised that you'd be a running-dog lackey of the un-bourgeoisie. Just kidding! HeHe!

Flickhead said...

Not that it has anything to do with what you've posted, but this cartoon brought up a vague, distant memory:

About twenty-five years ago, while living in the Haight in San Francisco, I walked home (very) drunkenly one night. Pausing on the side of a large concrete building nestled between a row of Victorians, I proceeded to whip it out, as it were, and urinate. Within moments, and much to my inebriated chagrin, I had three or four White Panthers giving me an impromptu "lesson" in bathroom etiquette, leaving me bruised and embarrassed for days on end. This was their building and, from what I understand, the basement held enough ammo and TNT to wipe out the neighborhood.

Suffice it to say, I learned my lesson well and have since held it until located in the proper place...

rick green said...

I saw these on the web a while ago. Aren't there some who say that these comix are actually the work of the FBI and not the BBP?

Justin said...

Yeah, this was published by the FBI under Cointelpro... does anyone seriously believe this wasn't designed by the FBI after reading it?

Tom Sutpen said...

When I started this series I was, admittedly unsure of whether this was true Black Panther Party literature or another of the manifold COINTELPRO stunts (I'd heard both). It is crudely-wrought stuff, but I've seen enough legit BP material that wasn't executed with much more in the way of, shall we say, finesse (unless it was all the work of FBI provocateurs) that the question remained in my mind.