British Sounds #1:
The Rolling Stones


Now half as old as time and with all the lissome grace of a broken luggage rack, The Rolling Stones continue to tour the world with an act no one under forty cares about; fueled by corporate sponsorship that ought to disqualify them from the human race on general principles. They are, in every respect, the walking illustration of why old people should not play (or, in their case, pretend to play) Rock'n'Roll music. But there was a time when, for a few errant moments, they were indeed what they once claimed themselves to be: The World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band. Monumentally proficient in Pop music as well as straight-ahead Rock; with lyrics of far greater sophistication than anything McCartney or Lennon were cooking up at the time, the Stones may have come in number two in the British Invasion sweepstakes, but their finest music has dated less than anyone else's.

I just wish they'd get the hell off the stage and go away.

8 comments:

FUNKYBROWNCHICK said...

Great photos! Where'd you find them?

Stolie
http://funkybrownchick.blogspot.com

swac said...

I've got to write a bunch of stories about these withered husks, because they're playing a show two-and-a-half hours away from where I live. Great.

Having said that, that last Mick Jagger solo record is one of the lamest things I've ever heard. And I've heard a lot of lame.

Rob said...

Years ago I was driving along blithely, and the DJ blurted "Here's a little Fresh Garbage for all you aging freaks out there." As the eclectic sound of my favorite Spirit piece jangled through my brain, the realization that I was, indeed, an aging freak, was tempered only by the fact Cass cassidy, Spirit's drummer, was older than me when he was playing with 'em. I've nothing against creaky ole' rockers still bangin' it out, but I do think trying to pretend they're cutting edge has to backed up with results. It doesn't help if a lifetime of tremendous drug and alky input leaves you looking like a Harryhausen skellington that got loose from "Jason and the Argonauts". Like many cultural things, the best stuff was first.

BCNU

swac said...

On the other hand, I went to see Willie Nelson recently, and it was nothing short of amazing. Completely entertaining. But then again, it didn't seem like his only reason for being onstage was to siphon a fortune out of his fans' pockets.

Tom Sutpen said...

Stephen wrote:

On the other hand, I went to see Willie Nelson recently, and it was nothing short of amazing. Completely entertaining. But then again, it didn't seem like his only reason for being onstage was to siphon a fortune out of his fans' pockets.

*****
Also (you can probably attest to this better than I, who've never seen him live), Willie Nelson still seems to get something out of playing live beyond the monetary recompense. The Stones, on the other hand; they have to pay those guys six-figures just to look at each other. A Rolling Stones concert today is just an exercise in mass cynicism.

Professor Batty said...

...as a 'singles' band in the '60s, there were untouchable. Brian Jones, while certainly a major flake, usually added a little extra to all those hits in his unique way; ie: contrast the edgy, concise, sitar part inPaint It Black with George Harrison's meanderings.

swac said...

For years I thought Exiles on Main St. was the greatest rock and roll album ever made by a white band. I'm reasonably sure that's still true, although I tend to think of Between the Buttons as my personal fave Stones album. Maybe because I got tired of singles after working first at an oldies station, and later at a classic rock station. How come they never play Connection or Yesterday's Papers? Radio, feh.

Tommy O'C said...

"with lyrics of far greater sophistication than anything McCartney or Lennon were cooking up at the time..."

Are you high?