The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

When Legends Gather #34


Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis

(follow that . . . . . . . . . . Stephen)

4 comments :

Rob said...

Now there's a pair to draw to!

BCNU

sleepybomb said...

that is a great picture . . got one of the killer in front of graceland?

Tom Sutpen said...

No, I wish I did. Was there really a photo of that incident? I doubt if any press photographers were around at that time of night, but one of the fans outside Graceland might have taken a picture of The Killer being led away in 'cuffs.

I have the next best thing to it, though, the mugshot of Jerry Lee from that night. Without checking, I'm 90% sure I already posted that one in the 'Civic Portraiture' series (which I ought to get back to . . . thanks for the indirect reminder!) a couple months back.

swac said...

This is a weird coincidence...I interviewed Charlie Pride yesterday, and he told me about how he went on tour with Jerry Lee in the late '60s, and it started with the Killer as the headliner, but since he was mostly in his country phase, Pride was better received by the crowds, and midway, Lewis acquiesced and made Pride the headliner.

He also told me about singing gospel tunes with Elvis. I'm one degree away from The King! (Maybe less since I interviewed Lisa Marie a couple of years ago.)