May 31, 1915

90 years ago today, Eleanora Fagan, better known to time and memory and Billie Holiday was born.

Here are six images of her:


Within her art; 1957



Hearing a wordless siren's song; a publicity still with Louis Armstrong, 1947



Where does it all go to, I wonder; sometime in the 40s



She ponders the vista of her future; 1955



A rare moment of tranquility; near the end.



Unleashing her muse, both tender and wild; sometime in the 40s

(my immense thanks to Bob Keser for reminding this addled brain what day it was)

4 comments:

Rob said...

Like no other, and no equal. 'Nuff said.

BCNU

swac said...

I first heard Billie Holiday when I checked a Charlie Parker anthology out of the library when I was 12 or so, and there she was singing Back In Your Own Backyard. Somewhere I still have the tape I made of that record...12 was a big year, discovering jazz, reading Kerouac, but hearing Holiday for the first time...that definitely cranked the psyche up a notch.

sleepybomb said...

my mom, who is a singer of some note, is a huge billie freak. i was turned on at a much earlier age, but the effect is everlasting. i have a cool set of 78's by billie, (i'd need to ldig it up for the lable), she gave me all her records cuz she couldn't be bothered anymore. god, i hope i never get like that . . .

sleepybomb said...

oh yeah, 12 . . . pot, the white lp and sex, very good year . . 1968!