The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

When Legends Gather #9


Criswell and Mae West

3 comments :

swac said...

Tom, I take it you've heard Mae West sing the tune "Criswell Predicts"?

I have it on the same album where she sings Great Balls of Fire and Light My Fire.

Tom Sutpen said...

I've heard Mae West's recording of "Light My Fire", but I wasn't even aware of "Criswell Predicts"

Uhhhh . . . I need to hear that.

Speaking of Shtars of yesterday making records, back in the mid-80s I heard about 30 seconds of a record Bette Davis had recorded that year; some ballad with a full orchestral accompaniment. I remember thinking her voice (you can imagine what it sounded like by then) had a definite species of ravaged beauty to it that was not unlike (dare I say it?) Billie Holiday's singing on "Lady in Satin"

That's one record I'd love to hear again.

swac said...

You haven't heard Criswell Predicts? Guess I'll have to do up a goodie bag to send back when my tape arrives. As for Bette Davis, I have a vinyl LP called Bette Sings that includes stuff like They're Either Too Young Or Too Old and of course I'm Sending A Letter To Daddy...maybe the track you're thinking of is on there. I'll check.

I also have Eddie Albert singing Bob Dylan and a whole album of Jim Nabors singing in character as Gomer Pyle called Shazam!