The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

This Week's Weegee #4

7 comments :

Sam said...

Nice Weegee this week. Did you know that Peter Sellars based the voice of Dr. Strangelove on Weegee's? That's what I heard

swac said...

Hmmm...I'll have to post a Weegee one of these weeks...better set it up with Tom. I guess Wednesday is Weegee day.

Or I could do a Weegee of the Weekend.

I dream of Weegee with the Leica stare.

Tom Sutpen said...

Sam wrote:

Nice Weegee this week. Did you know that Peter Sellars based the voice of Dr. Strangelove on Weegee's? That's what I heard

*****
That I didn't know, Sam. I've heard he based his President Muffely on Adlai Stevnson, and I've long suspected his Clare Quilty voice in "Lolita" was based directly on Stanley Kubrick's (if you've heard Kubrick's voice the resemblence is eerie).

Never heard Arthur Fellig (aka Weegee) speak,; I didn't even know the guy had an accent, to tell the truth.

Tom Sutpen said...

Stephen wrote:

Hmmm...I'll have to post a Weegee one of these weeks...better set it up with Tom. I guess Wednesday is Weegee day.

*****
It is. It's the only series I have a schedule for because I have a limited number of Weegees on the harddrive and I love his work so much I'd probably have posted them all within a week.

Or I could do a Weegee of the Weekend.

*****
Up to you, Stephen. You gotta know it's more than fine with me.

Rob said...

Ah, there's the dead guy. Nice skimmer on the copper, tho. Weegee as Doc's voice? That's so cool. I wonder when Sellars and he met.

BCNU

Tom Sutpen said...

Rob observed:

Ah, there's the dead guy. Nice skimmer on the copper, tho.

*****
LOL!

Rob, you'd be amazed how many Weegees there are with not a corpse in sight. I daresay there's enough of them that I could post one a week for about 6-8 months. Fellig got initially got a reputation for the Crime stuff because that was his bread and butter, but his eye was every bit as fascinated by all life in New York City after dark.

I'd love to find some of those Crime Scene photos (not Weegee's) that used to run in the 'Daily News' and the old 'New York Mirror' and post them here; as long as they aren't too graphic, I mean. What fascinates me about them is that they were quite often striking images, but for the most part the photographers who captured those images were a lot less conscious of their art than someone like Weegee had been.

Rob said...

Yeah, I know Weegee didn't always have a corpse in view, but he was the best stiff shooter ever. He had an amazing eye for composition in extreme situations, didn't he? There was a book of violent death pictures in the Museum Of Death that is now on Hollywood Blvd, that had some awesome shots. I've looked for it whenever I go to Powell's, but no luck so far.

BCNU