The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Seminal Image #110


Fallen Angel
(Otto Preminger; 1945)

7 comments :

swac said...

Must....get.....U.K....Region 2....DVD......

Tom Sutpen said...

Hey, my conscience is clear on this'un, matey.

I told you those Premingers were worth snapping up a few months ago.

Dintja get either "Whirlpool" or "Where the Sidewalk Ends"?

swac said...

I just went to Amazon.co.uk and ordered all three Preminger noirs. Found a retailer selling them for 13 pounds each, which is a fair discount considering Amazon's retail price of nearly 20 pounds each. That's like $14 off each!

But this order pretty much guarantees that they'll be announced for release in North America within the week.

No, don't thank me, the pleasure's all mine.

Still no sign of Siodmak's Christmas Holiday though...oh right, that's Universal.

Tom Sutpen said...

Good show, old boy. That's a purchase you would not have regretted even at full retail value.

I'm always reluctant to buy anything from .ca or .uk or .au Not that I have anything against those last two countries, you understand; mostly it's because them exchange rates bewilder me. I'm always afraid I'm gonna get ripped off royally in such a transaction (also, my DVD playa don't play Region 2 stuff, the piecea crap!).

swac said...

I only buy that stuff if I'm absolutely sure that I can't get it any other way. And I still shop around to find the best bargain. There are some sellers on Amazon in the U.S. that sell Region 2/Pal titles, that's how I got A Canterbury Tale, but if it's a title like my Will Hay double feature of Oh Mr. Porter!/Convict 99, then I go to the source, 'cause I'm pretty sure it isn't going to show up on these shores. Stuff like my double-DVD set of British comedy troupe The Goodies is another such title.

But I'm glad I held out on the Premingers until a sub-retailer had them for something like one-third off Amazon.UK's prices.

Look for the Fox Classics announcement of a U.S. release any day now.

Ivan G. said...

What's the verdict on the Goodies set, Stephen? I haven't seen any of those shows in close to twenty years, and I'd love to see them again.

swac said...

The Goodies set is well worth getting...a nice batch of classic episodes with commentary and some rare bits of footage here and there. The show is a bit creaky after all these years, but eps like Kitten Kong still have their share of laughs. I can't believe this was treated as a kids' programme (in one later episode, they have a poster of The Damned on the wall!).