The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Housekeeping Matter #12: This Week's "This Week's Weegee"

Color me embarassed.

My co-pilot on this blog, Monsieur Cooke, just informed me of the more than passing resemblence between entry number 4 in this series and entry number 7 posted just yesterday.

I suppose this is as good a time as any, in the interests of my own defense, to inform visitors to this blog that Your Tom has been attending to his blogging responsibilities under some very bad weather indeed; a case of Pneumonia, to be exact, that I came down with over the weekend after it mutated from a case of influenza. It's a mild pneumonia, I'm told, but it's my first so the quality of my thinking isn't what it should be.

Just above this notice I'll be posting another #7 in this series, a different one, and deleting yesterdays.

My apologies to one and all and my thanks to Stephen for pointing it out.

4 comments :

Rob said...

Sorry to hear you've got pneumonia - I had it twice and I thought it was gonna kill me. Don't ever want that again! Get well!

BCNU

Sam said...

Tom, I'm just getting over my pneumonia, so I know how you feel. I can't even write a decent post this week. Hope you get better, man.

swac said...

Godspeed you co-blogger...I had pneumonia when I was a young'un (around the same age as that picture in my profile), and I'm told I was delirious and in pretty rough shape. Hope the worst of it is over, and you're on the road to recovery.

And if there's a chinese restaurant handy that makes hot and sour soup, that stuff cures everything.

Brent McKee said...

Campbell's makes a hot and sour soup in their "Hearty Noodles" line. Not as good as you can get at a restaurant, but here at least cheaper. And Stephen is right, that stuff'll cure anything, or at least make the recovery enjoyable.