The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Civic Portraiture #17


Donnie "Don't call me Marky Mark" Wahlberg (1991)

4 comments :

Sam said...

I think this could be my only complaint. Every photo has been great here, except this one. Out of all the mugshots in the world, you have to show one with a New Kid? Why?

Tom Sutpen said...

I can't speak for Stephen on this, Sam, but I will say that had I seen this before, I would have snagged it and put it in my mugshot folder (which still has quite a few that I haven't posted as yet). My guiding principle in this series is any reasonably famous individual, so long as they aren't primarily famous for their legal transgression (that would cancel out the irony factor, after all), is fit grist for this here mill.

swac said...

Sam...does this mean you liked the Anna Nicole Smith shot?

Ah, but I kid. It's not just the New Kid-ness of the photo that spoke to me, it's the aura around it that says so much about the downside of fame. Look at the attempted hoodlum look in Wahlberg's eyes, the desperation to, "hang tough", if you will, as he sees his desperate future laid out in front of him. Soon he will proceed, step-by-step, down the ladder, to the point where playing an emaciated junkie in The Sixth Sense can be called "a career highlight."

And I figured if Anna Nicole was fair game (as she should be), then I wasn't afraid to step into NKOTB territory.

Tommy O'C said...

It did seem like a waste of space but the explanation was spot on.