The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

When Men Were Men #1


(From An Autographed Who's Who of the Screen, 1930)

"I come from a family of soldiers and I ran away from home during the Boer War to enlist in the Life Guards. I added a few years to my age so that they would admit me. After the war, I found myself in Canada where I worked at anything I could get to do. I had boxed and wrestled in the army, so before long I was champion boxer of Eastern Canada. Purses were small in those days, so I joined up with a medicine show and later with a wild west show. My partner and I soon were fed up with this and we hooked up with the Pantages vaudeville circuit. After a season of this, I went back to boxing and once fought Jack Johnson in a no-decision bout. Since then I have traveled in Hawaii, the Fiji Islands, Tahiti, Australia and even joined the gold rush to Kalgoorlie, but couldn't seem to find any gold. I heard about the World War in Capetown and enlisted. After the war I made pictures in England and a cable from J. Stuart Blackton brought me to this country to play in 'The Beloved Brute.' My role of Captain Flagg in 'What Price Glory' brought me a long-term contract with Fox. My first all-talking picture was 'The Black Watch,' which was followed by 'The Cock-Eyed World.' I have an Arabian valet whom I picked up in the desert near Bagdad." - Victor McLaglen

2 comments :

Rob said...

Christ, he had a helluvan iinteresting life. For plug-ugly with a lot of physical talent, he went a long way. I had forgotten about his Jack Johnson bout - that's like Eastwood dukeing it out with Ali, but we all know how that would've ended.

BCNU

Robert said...

I have looked for a copy of The Beloved Brute for some time with no success. If anyone knows if there is such, please email me.
I have a complete copy of still photos of the movie.
Glenn Cooper
rgcooperc@netscape.net