The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Sex Education #11


Susan Hayward

(mucho, mucho thanks to Bob Keser for this bit of loveliness)

6 comments :

Rob said...

Nice shot! I loved her voice, it practically dripped come hither.

BCNU

Tom Sutpen said...

She did have a great voice. Though the older she got the more she sounded like a transvestite.

What does BCNU mean?

Rob said...

Hmm. I can't say what underlying issues bring you to this conclusion. ;-) Most trans I've spoken with sound a little like butch dykes, but she could pull a sled into first place at the Iditarod with her voice, and still look luscious, while they look more like the lead dog.

Be Seeing You

swac said...

A gay man once tried to pick me up in a Montreal video store while gushing at length about his love for Susan Hayward. Well, at least he was original.

I've got to stop hanging around video stores and spend more time at the 24 hour grocery at 5 in the morning, when the night nurses come off shift.

Tom Sutpen said...

A gay man once tried to pick me up in a Montreal video store while gushing at length about his love for Susan Hayward. Well, at least he was original.

*****
I don't know what it says about me . . . hopefully that I just ooze heterosexuality from every pore (though I would doubt it) . . . but no gay guy has ever hit on me, in a video store, in a bar, nowhere.

But then, I don't get wimmens hitting on me niether.

This is depressing all of a sudden.

I've got to stop hanging around video stores and spend more time at the 24 hour grocery at 5 in the morning, when the night nurses come off shift.

*****
Unfortunately my local 24 hour supermarket at 5 in the morning resembles the Reading Room at the Boston Public Library on a Saturday afternoon. In other words, it's a complete freak show.

swac said...

tas wrote:

Unfortunately my local 24 hour supermarket at 5 in the morning resembles the Reading Room at the Boston Public Library on a Saturday afternoon. In other words, it's a complete freak show.

*****

Even if it's a freak show, maybe you could get lucky with one of the Hilton sisters. I mean Daisy and Violet, not those other two monstrosities.