The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Seminal Image #90


Street of Sin
(Mauritz Stiller; 1928)

9 comments :

Ivan G. said...

As a one-time Ballbuster...er, Blockbuster Video employee, we had the videocassette of Docks in our fabulously skimpy Silents section—and you know, I’ll bet I’m the only one who ever rented it. That would have been roughly sixteen years ago, and I’d love to see it again.

swac said...

I have a Paramount VHS of this, if you're super keen on seeing it again. I could even put it on DVD (I've been doing this with a handful of VHS titles that don't appear to be slated for DVD release any time soon...The Miracle Woman, anyone?)

Ivan G. said...

I would love an encore of this fine film--I accept your kind offer, sir.

Tom Sutpen said...

Can . . . can I have a copy too, Stephen? Pleeeease??

If it's do-able we'll hash it out off-line. I put that piece of lowdown smut, "She Had to Say Yes" in the mail (again) yesterday, so this might constitute a fair and equitable trade.

"The Miracle Woman" is fantastic, incidentally. It's amazing what Capra was capable of when he had Stanwyck in front of the camera (and between the sheets . . . but that's another story).

Dave B. said...

The Docks of New York is a great film, all right -- but this still is not from that film. What is it? Looks like Emil Jannings (shaving) -- is it Street of Sin?

Anyhoo, great site so far -- and I haven't even reached the Louise Brooks nudes!

swac said...

I've already been indicted in my silence on this matter...oh well, I have no excuse. I haven't seen Docks in years either, and I took it for granted that Tom knew what he was talking about. Mea culpa.

On another note...is that the David Boswell I see posting here? As a longtime Reid Flemming fan, I have to say a big thanks and welcome. You probably don't know me David, but I'm the guy who got the clearance from Trailer Park Boys for the team-up with Reid, via the folks at Strange Adventures. I could go on about my TPB connection, but maybe another time. Also, the last time I interviewed folk singer Bruce Cockburn, he was checked into the hotel under the name "Reid Flemming". Make of that what you will.

Tom Sutpen said...

Stephen wrote:

I took it for granted that Tom knew what he was talking about.

*****
Hey, watch where you sling those regrets, compadre. And just because I take it for granted I know whereof I speak at all times doesn't mean you should.

swac said...

Hey, that was the wine talking not me. hic

Tom Sutpen said...

Stephen wrote:

Hey, that was the wine talking not me. hic

*****
Well, God knows I wouldn't know anything about that. I've never written anything while under the influence of spirits, herbs or chemicals.

(not today, anyway)