The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Lulu in Nature; By Request for Kingo Gondo (Guys. Send the Wife Out for Pizza or Something)


Normally we would never post such a salacious, baldly erotic image as this here one of Louise Brooks. This is, after all, a family blog (I keep telling myself), and we don't traffic in prurience 'round these parts. But an old Usenet confrere of both Stephen and myself, Kingo Gondo, requested this image today in 'alt.movies.silent' and we had to overcome our natural reluctance. I mean, Stephen can avow that Kingo practically held a gun to our heads to get us to post this, so please don't blame us if this winds up wrecking any relationships.

8 comments :

swac said...

It's true...I resisted, thinking about the children, but then I thought, screw 'em. I started sneaking glances at Playboy around the time I turned eight or so, and I turned out okay. And frankly, what are kids younger than eight doing on the internet anyway? Hopefully we can deter a few young 'uns from the path of sexual deviance by exposing them to such wholesome images as these.

Ivan G. said...

Hear, hear! Let's bring indecency back to where it really belongs...the Internets!

Tom Sutpen said...

Stephen wrote:

Hopefully we can deter a few young 'uns from the path of sexual deviance by exposing them to such wholesome images as these.

*****
I heartily concur.

But I ask you, how bad could sexual deviancy really be if it was informed by a yummilicious photo like this?

Tom Sutpen said...

Ivan wrote:

Hear, hear! Let's bring indecency back to where it really belongs...the Internets!

*****
I think the . . . whatever the hell he is . . . who spoke in such plurals already has the market on indecency cornered.

Christ, did that election depress me!

Stephen said...

...A stunning image of one the cinema's brightest stars (and noted film theorist and critic) this picture belongs in a museum, rendered in a platinotype. A beautiful, natural woman...Where did you find it?

Tom Sutpen said...

Another guy named Stephen asked:

...A stunning image of one the cinema's brightest stars (and noted film theorist and critic) this picture belongs in a museum, rendered in a platinotype. A beautiful, natural woman...Where did you find it?

*****
My intrepid blogging partner Mr. Cooke brought that back from an expedition (this was before he signed on as co-pilot) and posted a link to it in the Comments section of another entry (I think that's how it went down). I think it's from a Louise Brooks fansite, but don't hold me to that.

(there's a pun somewhere in that last sentence. I just know it)

swac said...

I think I saw a pun there, but my brain is moving too slow. Plus it's working overtime trying to resist making a "Pandora's Box" joke.

Oops, too late.

Rob said...

This has to be one of greatest full frontals ever, well worth the posting. Puts some modern gals to shame. I say let the young with inqiring minds learn a thing or two about sex appeal from one of its foremost "projectors".

BCNU