The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Housekeeping Matter #8: The Real Sam Johnson Show

A few hours ago, this blog received a quite generous . . . perhaps too generous, considering the general absence of text . . . recommendation from Sam Johnson, blogmaster of "The Real Sam Johnson Show"; which I happily recommend to all visitors to these shores. Sam's blog is consistently entertaining, unpretentious (something that can't be said for a lot of blogs . . . even this one from time to time, in all condor) and worthy of repeat visits.

In an email to me a few hours ago . . . yes, I'm an insomniac. What of it? . . . Sam marvelled at my having asked him to link this effort to his. As I said in response, I only ask to link to blogs that I truly like. There's a million and one blogs and websites out there I could link to that would no doubt better reflect the preoccupations of this. But I'm only interested in linking to blogs and sites that I personally get something out of; be that enjoyment, information, diversion, whatever.

Sam's blog is one of them. And, like everything else on the sidebar, linking to it was, for me, a no-brainer.

No comments :