The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

The Art of Jazz #1


Speak No Evil
(Wayne Shorter; 1964)

3 comments :

Sam said...

What a great album cover.

Honestly, I wanted to say how every photo here is wonderful. But, I don't want to put that in every comment box. I don't want to gush, but these are just beautiful. Where do you come across them?

Tom Sutpen said...

Thank you, Sam. I'm really glad you like them, since the inages are largely what this blog is about.

I grab them off the internet for the most part. What happens is, I get a specific idea for a series (Jazz Album Covers, photos of famous people who've offed themselves, etc) and, through the good offices of Google Image Search, I collect the better ones I come across; letting what visual sense I have do the talking, so to speak.

You'll probably be seeing more writing here, both from me as well as Stephen, but I've more or less accepted the fact that the photos are what keep people coming back, so your thumbs up merely underscores this conclusion.

Thanks again!

swac said...

This is a bit freakish...I was thinking last night about a jazz album cover series...and lo and behold! Mind you, this has been happening to me a lot lately. Must have something to do with the gulf stream carrying psychic energy up the East Coast.