Housekeeping Matter #1: Quo Vadis Hyperlinks?

Readers and visitors to this blog . . . and there've been a few more than usual this last week (which surpises me more than it's fashionable to say; though it's still a small number) . . . who've probably noticed the sudden swelling of text in recent days might be wondering why these entries fail to include the customary surfeit of Hyperlinks one normally encounters in the Blogosphere.

I'll tell you why: It's a deliberate choice on my part. Too many Hyperlinks simply annoy me. In fact, I've never understood my fellow bloggers' predeliction for sticking them in the text of their blog entries so relentlessly. Apart from the visual awkwardness which obtains from their use, they're counterproductive as all hell. Instead of text, you might as well just post a message asking the visitor to go somewhere else. I can think of a few times when I've been reading someone's blog and, spotting a Hyperlink to something which seemed intriguing, I've followed it . . . without ever returning to my point of departure; despite a vague resolution to do so when I clicked on the link. Why would anyone who's taken the time to write want to encourage such distractions from their own writing? I certainly don't pretend my blog entries are any more fascinating than anyone else's, but as long as someone has determined to read them . . . for whatever reason . . . what good does it do me . . . or you . . . to push them in another direction?

This is why you'll almost never see a Hyperlink in this blog. Only under the most compelling of circumstances would I even think of doing it. So, if you're a link fanatic, you'll have to content yourself with the paltry offerings in the sidebar.

No comments: