The Explanation
(for those who require one)

And, of course, that is what all of this is -- all of this: the one song, ever changing, ever reincarnated, that speaks somehow from and to and for that which is ineffable within us and without us, that is both prayer and deliverance, folly and wisdom, that inspires us to dance or smile or simply to go on, senselessly, incomprehensibly, beatifically, in the face of mortality and the truth that our lives are more ill-writ, ill-rhymed and fleeting than any song, except perhaps those songs -- that song, endlesly reincarnated -- born of that truth, be it the moon and June of that truth, or the wordless blue moan, or the rotgut or the elegant poetry of it. That nameless black-hulled ship of Ulysses, that long black train, that Terraplane, that mystery train, that Rocket '88', that Buick 6 -- same journey, same miracle, same end and endlessness."
-- Nick Tosches, Where Dead Voices Gather

Opening Salvo (The Title Shot)

"If Charlie Parker Was a Gunslinger, There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats"

Or words to that effect. That's what I was actually going to use as the title for this, my one and only newly-minted blog. Problem was, the thing's too damn long to bear publication. Which is a crying shame since, as far as blogs go, it's not a bad title, even if it's not original.

Oh . . . you didn't know that?

Yeah, it's not something I dreamed up. I'm not that clever. You (and I) have the late Charles Mingus to thank for that bit of poetry.

For all you experienced bloggers out there, let me know if this title works or not.

You see, I'm new to this racket. But I'll try and keep you entertained (or at least diverted).

And feel free to ask me anything. Anything atall.

3 comments :

geezernerd said...

and how do i do that?

Maya said...

Who put the hot in hotentot? Who put the ape in apricot?

dimbulb55 said...

I started in Jan 2011 and have finally made it all the way back to the origin of your blog, page by page. Dig it!